Can you imagine entering a three-dimensional online store in the form of an avatar, where you can shop and try on clothes almost like you do in real life?
Technological advances are increasingly present in all areas of daily life and are on their way to conquering all digital channels.
The Metaverse is one of them and gives users the ability to interact with different spaces through a fusion of so-called virtual reality and augmented reality.
Shopping methods are changing and today customers are looking for something different, virtual, but personalized, something that makes a difference.
The metaverse brings us a new way of shopping, very close to real life, but completely virtual, where customers can interact in an immersive way with the environment.
It is an exceptional tool to generate a good customer experience and stand out from the competition. In this article, we are going to tell you a little about it, its advantages, disadvantages and possibilities in digital marketing.
The metaverse, as we have already anticipated, is a space where the real world and the virtual world meet, thanks to the use of virtual reality and augmented reality tools. In this space, of a digital nature, people can interact with other people from the same metaverse or with three-dimensional objects.
It is, in short, an extension of real space, but in the virtual domain.
To be more precise, users can, through elements such as virtual or augmented reality glasses and applications for devices such as computers or smartphones, enter a virtual world and take part in various experiences.
These types of activities, such as playing, shopping, trying on clothes, working, or interacting with other users in the virtual environment, can be performed using an avatar, which is a virtual representation of the user. .
A well-known example of a metaverse was recently showcased by Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, who showed off a prototype mixed reality headset, as part of his Cambria project. This headset provides an enhanced mixed reality experience by interacting with virtual elements in the real world, such as taking notes, playing with a pet, or taking a gym class.
Additionally, there are several video game platforms that started with the concept of mixed reality and are in the process of developing their metaverses, such as Second Life, Fornite, Minecraft, and Roblox.
It is important to consider some of the fundamental characteristics that metaverses have or will have.
- Of the digital avatars are used to enter each metaverse. These avatars represent the user and will interpret what the user wants to show or do in this metaverse.
- It’s about a immersive experiencewhich blurs the boundaries between the physical and digital worlds.
- He is collective and collaborativebecause it is shared with other users who are logged in and active in the same metaverse and can perform actions there at the same time.
- It has no boundaries or distances, since you can connect without limits to places all over the world. Additionally, you can connect to other metaverses while keeping the same avatar.
- He is steady and does not disappear if you log out. You can come back and see how things are going in this metaverse, what’s new, what’s changed, etc.
- He has his own economy, based on NFTs and cryptocurrencies. NFTs are unique digital assets that cannot be replaced. That is, a person can convert a digital file to NFT, which would constitute a digital certificate of authenticity. This will allow it to be exchanged online, for example through cryptocurrencies. This asset is widely used for exchanging artwork or other works that require authenticity, and combined with cryptocurrencies, it is very useful in the metaverse.
Now that we know the basics of the metaverse, let’s move on to what really matters to us, which is how the metaverse influences and will influence digital marketing.
The metaverse will radically change the buying and selling of products and services in cyberspace, providing users with entirely different and personalized digital experiences very similar to those in the real world, and giving businesses greater recognition of their brand.
While some metaverse-like concepts exist today, based on virtual reality and augmented reality, merging the two to provide a platform as close to the real world as could be achieved in a metaverse is yet to be developed.
So what are the different possibilities that the metaverse brings to digital marketing?
- It will be possible to buy digital versions products or services, such as demonstrations or gymnastic exercises performed by an avatar.
- It will be possible to buy in 3D virtual shopswhich you can enter by entering a metaverse with your own avatar.
- It will be possible to offer a experience different to the customer, totally immersive, where he can obtain the information he wants on the product or service that interests him. In addition, they will also be able to perform actions that are not possible today in a classic virtual shopping experience, such as trying on clothes, trying on the look of furniture in their home or viewing the menu of a restaurant live with the information they think they need.
- Unique products can be marketed in the form of NFTsgiving customers a sense of place and exclusivity.
- A potential customer can be guest in a metaverse for a remote meeting, but much more personalized and realistic.
- Of the product demonstrations can be organized in the metaverse and webinars or courses can be delivered in real time, creating an immersive experience for the customer.
- Many other forms of digital advertising can be exploited in the metaverse, as it offers many possibilities and ways to sell a product or service. It will also change the way of advertising a product. Today, the goal is to reach as many people as possible, by sending many emails, inserting advertising in different places. In the metaverse, advertising will be available to all users who log in.
- The strategies of content marketing can be improved by generating new virtual content available in the metaverse for everyone who passes through it, as well as positioning with a good strategy influencer marketingwhich will compose their campaigns in the form of avatars.
Any technological advancement of course has many advantages, because it is about the future and what is to come, but it also has disadvantages, because it is something new, with little experience and testing.
That’s why below we present some of the advantages and disadvantages that we think this new technology can have, not only in digital marketing, but in all the spaces it can reach.
Classes will be more dynamic and educational, as students will be able to transport themselves to other places and get to know them for themselves, as well as learning concepts that are much more convenient to visualize in 3D than on a sheet of paper. paper or a computer.
The concept of home office will change radically, since it will be possible to access offices and hold meetings in virtual places, where you can meet other people and interact in a virtual environment very similar to the real one.
Virtual medical appointments will be far more efficient than current appointments, where patients and their symptoms can be better assessed.
This is the most well-known advantage, since they are the pioneers of the metaverse. But the ability to play with people from all over the world in a virtual reality environment is remarkable.
The purchase and sale of products and services in the metaverse can be fully personalized and realistic, and the customer experience can be better than in the case of traditional online shopping. This will improve your brand reach.
Diversified technology and compatible with different digital formats.
Community and cooperative
Ability to easily create connected communities at any distance.
In some ways, it can reduce pollution because more activities can be carried out remotely, reducing the consumption of unsustainable resources such as transportation.
Possibility of connection between the different generations.
The high cost of technology will inevitably lead to increased socio-economic inequalities, not only for companies with fewer resources to invest in digital marketing, but also for consumers who do not have easy access to these technologies.
Fewer physical relationships between people. Possibility of spending too much time in the virtual world, due to its resemblance to the real world
Lack of knowledge or lack of legislation, which can make spaces unsafe for users.
Fragility of the protection of personal data and privacy.
Insecurity of economic transactions through virtual means of payment such as cryptocurrencies, which makes them a good target for scams.
If the metaverse currently seems more oriented and developed for video games, it is clear that the continued growth in the use of augmented reality and virtual reality tools will open up more and more possibilities in the virtual world. This is why many companies are going down this path, to take the next step towards merging realities, which is the metaverse.
This will have a direct impact on brands that market their products digitally, as they will need to upgrade if they want to stand out and provide the customer with a fully personalized and realistic experience, where they can get all the product information they need. he wants, when he wants, without having to go to a physical store.
Generating a good customer experience is a necessary differentiation strategy for any business and the use of new technologies in digital marketing will be necessary.
About the Author
Luciana Sanchez is a member of the Habitium.fr and Materialesdefabrica.com team